Sunday, October 27, 2013

Refurbished Sewing Machine Update

I've been able to sell all but one of my refurbished sewing machines.  I only sold the drop-in bobbin Kenmore at my sewing machine yard sale, for $50.

Then I sold the other Kenmore for $100, the Montgomery Ward for $100, and the Riccar for $50, to the same person.  She has about 15 ladies who sew cheerleader, drill team and ballroom dance costumes for her.

The White is the only one left.  I'm asking $110 for it.  I had a woman come to look at it, and it wouldn't work.  We got it into the buttonhole system, and couldn't get it back out.  Of course, as she was driving away, Karl (my DH) flipped the switch and it popped right out.  I will de-gum it and make sure it won't do that again, before I sell it.

Update:  The White has a new home.  I got $100 for it.

All but one of my machines were bought by people I know through my job or quilt guild.  I give a 30-day warranty with all of my refurbished machines.  And I hope they will feel free to contact me if there are any problems.

9 comments:

  1. Can you tell me where to find the repair manual for the kenmore 158-17800? I have one with feed dogs that won't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen,
      I don't use repair manuals, but you could probably find one on ebay. Are the feed dogs not coming up high enough, or not moving forward and backward, or not timed with the needle? email me... a.rose.sews at gmail

      Delete
  2. Where did you get your machine training? I would LOVE to do that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly hands-on. I'm apprenticed to a man who started training at age 16, and says he "learned from the school of hard knocks." I still save the hard stuff for him.

      Delete
  3. I've started my sewing machine repair tips blog/website and I'll be adding a lot of service and repair tips as I go a long. www.sewingnz.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great that you are able to sell your refurbished sewing machines, I bet it's a great option for those who want a sewing machine! I've recently taken up sewing, but I've been borrowing my mother's machine. I want to find a good machine, do you have any suggestions on what machine to get? http://www.hifashiongj.com/machines.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need machine parts, I have a (bernina 800dl serger) the rear cover was broken in a move and need replaced. with that being said the 1st lower looper thread area called the groove thread guides is missing due to the back cover being broken. Its a little metal thread tension inside the first insertion on top of the back rear cover. The upper area where the first thread enter. I can fix it I just can find parts. I can send pictures. Pamela

    If you take the rear back cover off their is 4 area with metal tension pieces and one is missing so that means my machine will not sew, until I get a new rear cover and metal tension replacement piece. because where the rear cover was broken the screw area the holds the metal piece and the screw is broken also. and the one of three metal piece is gone/missing too.

    I hope this helps

    thatssewpamela@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela,

      Your local Bernina dealer is the best option to get those parts. Your second option is Juki. Juki has been making Bernina sergers for about 30 years, but they recently separated (about 2 years ago). The Juki equivalent to your Bernina 800DL is the Juki 114D.

      Good Luck to you!

      Delete