Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Cleaning The Bobbin Winder Clutch on a Bernina 830 Record

On this machine, you'll need to remove a couple screws from the bottom before you can get to the clutch.  Lay the machine face down on a thick towel.  If it has the plastic shield across the bottom, remove the screw and take the plastic shield off. 
 

Directly below the handwheel, on the bottom of the machine is another long screw.  Remove that screw, and the end panel will come off.  



Next, you need an Allen wrench, size 5/32 or 4mm.  There’s a black screw that the Allen wrench will fit into, just above the pulley.  Turn it to the left, just enough to release the tension on the pulley.  


Now you can take the handwheel off.  Loosen the little screw on the center knob. 

 Unwind the knob and take it off. 



Remove the metal ring.   


Lift up on the pulley as you remove the handwheel.  




Spray a little WD-40 on a rag and clean inside the handwheel center hole.  Spray some on the shaft that the handwheel goes onto, and clean it off with a rag.  It may take 2 applications if it’s really frozen up.  Make sure all the WD-40 is removed, then put about 3 drops of sewing machine oil on the shaft. 

Put the belt onto the handwheel and make sure the belt is also seated in the inside groove of the pulley, then push the handwheel back on.  


Replace the metal ring with the nubs facing outward.  You have 3 positions that the ring can go on.  You’ll know you’ve got the right one, when the clutch will release, but it will also hold it locked for sewing.  You have to have the center knob all the way on before you can check.

16 comments:

  1. I'm happy to have found your blog! I'm interested in fixing my own machines, and I'm looking forward to going through your entries to see what I can learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katy,
      Welcome to my blog!  I hope you'll find answers to your questions.  If not you can always send me an email.

      Delete
  2. Brand new sewing person her, we got a Singer touch and sew 765 from a thrift store in a beautiful cabinet for 20 bucks eek! I’ve always wanted a sewing machine and could never afford one. It won’t fill the bobbin like it’s supposed to. We are doing everything the manual says to do we’ve tried YouTube videos, it worked once got messed up but won’t work again. Any idea what we are doing wrong? I don’t use my gmail account anymore please please please help mrskorba @ yahoo .com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You! This totally fixed mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You! This totally fixed mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I just found your blog. I got my long-neglected machine out to make some masks for my household for the current coronavirus situation, and of course it decided to break down! It is the clutch wheel, and I found your other post on clutch wheels, and I have taken the clutch wheel off and cleared the gunk out. But in order to re-align the handwheel, I need to remove the top cover. It's a White ET-10, and I cant get the cover off. I have removed all of the screws I can find, and pulled the stitch length wheel off. The cover is partly loose but is still quite firmly attached at the upper left corner, where the tension wheel is. I can't tell if its just stuck from years of not being opened, or if there is some additional step I need to do. I'm afraid of breaking the cover by prying it too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your machine has screws that are hidden deep inside on the machine frame. I can't get a very detailed picture from Google. But it looks like it only has the front and the back that come apart. I don't see a top cover. We try not to take those machines apart.

      Instead of taking the machine apart, can you loosen the motor from the bottom? If the motor is loosened, then the belt can go back on. Then you could tighten the motor. Would that work?

      Delete
  6. It's this machine: https://www.sewingparts.co.uk/machines/pics/white-10.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, and thank you so much for this blog. I am trying to get the knob off my Bernina 830, and it won't budge - even if I remove the set screw. When I try to remove it by turning it, the whole mechanism is engaged, including the needle. Any suggestions as to how I might proceed to get it unseized? I've sprayed WD-40 in every place I can reach to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm excited to find your blog! I have this exact machine and I am trying to service it right now. I think I have solved my issues... except now I can't put it back together. There is a spring that popped out on me and I can't figure out how how to put it back. It's connected to the pulley you are holding in the last picture. You can even see the spring next to your fingers, but I have a couple of extra pieces that fell out with the spring and I'm not sure how to put them all back. Do you happen to have any photos of what is behind that pulley?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My beloved 830 needs the hand wheel turned almost always to get it sewing. I took it in to a service center and they did not fix the problem. I think maybe the belt, but I sure don’t know. What do you suspect. Even when I slow down a bit, I must use the hand wheel to start again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have just looked at a Bernina 830 Record. The needle won't center. in the farthest position to the right, the needle rubs against the presser food. It appears that the horizontal shaft needs adjusting?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there I'm fed up with this machine wonder if you can help Model Bernette 134D had it from new about 30 years Yikes serviced regularly be not used a lot really? made kiddies clothes and odds n ends got it out this week threaded correctly done this about 10 times today needles are good in nice and firm as per instructions but refuses to sew!! ready too chuck out the window! Is it a bad model Please can anyone help me. I live to far away from a repair man the one I used has now retired. Maybe this nold girl should retire from sewing.Many thanks Julie Stevens

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    I'm in need of a (nearly) full set of green/gold decals for a new-to-me 1915 White Family Rotary treadle sewing machine. Extensive computer searches have been fruitless. Any suggestions?

    Thanks-
    retiredmathteacher@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete